The premise of “Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play” is that business development must be totally client focused. Customers want to buy and not to be sold a bill of goods. This is a paradigm shift or a new mental model that advocates a methodology where two companies mutually decided to work together with the goal of meeting the client’s needs while providing a profitable engagement for the service provider, trusted adviser or professional service organization.
"Only as you do know yourself can your brain serve you as a sharp and efficient tool. Know your own failings, passions and prejudices so you can separate them from what you see." –Bernard Baruch
- The premise of "Optimizing Corporate Portfolio Management" is that resource allocation (time, money, staff, information and corporate assets) along with making smarter business investment decisions is critical to a business’s value creation processes. This book provides examples from American Express regarding what they've entitled investment optimization and how they have used the principles of allocating discretionary funds whether for marketing, sales or technology investments with the same investment category and the best projects compete for the same dollars.
• “First Things First” is a book written in 1994 by Stephen Covey and the Merrill brothers that changed my life and focused me on a daily habit of scheduling first things first. The premise of the book is to keep the main thing the main thing.
• Ken Blanchard in his endorsement of the book states, "Together with the Merrills, Stephen Covey has written a thought-provoking book that makes us look at ourselves in life more importantly, 'First Thing First' gently guides us to the basic principles."
• Steve Young, quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, stated, "The greatest successes I've had in my life can be attribute to the life-changing principles Covey teaches in 'First Things First.'"
• Melanie Mackenzie, co-author of “Managing Your Goals,” stated, "Time management gives us the tools but 'First Things First' delivers us to a place where we can each make the right choices; fueled by powerful visions of a life lived as a legacy – a life of enduring meaning."
Mind mapping is a brain storming technique based on word association with keywords such as family, democracy, revolution and others that trigger other words, thoughts and ideas. This is basically how the mind works as we think of ideas and brainstorm concepts. Mind mapping is a process for unlocking our individual genius and enhancing the way we naturally think.
What I learned:
- You can think faster and more creatively using mind mapping. It allows you to capture ideas the way your mind naturally thinks.